Re: Battery status

To: Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@linux.it>
Subject: Re: Battery status
From: Clark Williams <williams@redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:25:24 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 17:14 +0200, Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:53:56AM -0500, Clark Williams wrote:
> > You might want to look at how acpi is presented in the /proc interface.
> > You could hook your battery status routines into the acpi entries:
> >
> >     /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/{alarm,info,status}
>
> I see... but in «drivers/acpi/Kconfig» I notice that this driver
> depends on «IA64 || X86». Do you think I can activate it even for MIPS
> arch? :-o

/me goes and actually *looks* at the acpi driver(s)

I would recommend writing a completely separate driver that just
provides the hook(s) to get to battery and any other info you want to
provide. I did it on another platform (can't seem to find that code
though) mainly to use the /proc/acpi/event interface and receive button
presses and things like that. Something like a fake-acpi.c that various
platform folks could use to translate their events into the acpi
interface.

That's kinda hokey now that I actually wrote it down and looked at it.
Maybe what we need to do is put together a framework somewhat like the
way acpi presents state information, but not called acpi (wouldn't want
someone thinking that we'd ported the acpi interpreter to MIPS :). I'm
not even sure if it should go into /proc or /sys.

I just liked the fact that the event interface and the status interfaces
were presented in somewhat logical fashion to user space, such that a
shell script could be used to gather information or manipulate the state
(e.g. 'echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep' to suspend to RAM).

Gah. Sorry, you were asking for an answer and I turned this into a
design discussion. My opinion: if you're in a hurry, write a simple
driver that presents a /proc interface to get to battery information.

Clark

--
Clark Williams <williams@redhat.com>