Re: CVS linux

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: CVS linux
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:53:37 +0100
On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 06:44:31PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > Generally considered a good idea ...
>  Generally most useful for binary-only modules.  Do we have any for the
> DECstation?  If you update "vmlinux", you can also update modules.  Other
> platforms get away without versioning by default -- I see no reason to be
> different here.

If there's a mistake that people can do they will rarely miss that
opportunity.  Desperate users tend to move modules from their
distribution into a kernel built from CVS or change kernel config options
and somehow manage to keep a few modules built with the old options etc.
It's no fun receiving bug reports only to later figure out it was just
a silly pilot error, so for anything that's going to the net I really
keep that option on.

Of course I'd disable it for a closed appliance nor do I keep it turned
on for my own builds.