Re: CVS linux

To: Richard Sandiford <>
Subject: Re: CVS linux
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:59:56 +0100 (BST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle DL5RB <>, Thiemo Seufer <>,
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Richard Sandiford wrote:

> > 2005-07-08  Maciej W. Rozycki  <>
> >
> >     * config/mips/linux.h (CC1_SPEC): Override defaults from
> >     config/linux.h.
> Looks reasonable, but I think you should just set SUBTARGET_CC1_SPEC
> to the normal linux.h definition of CC1_SPEC.  There shouldn't be
> any need to redefine CC1_SPEC itself (with all the mips.h duplication
> that that implies).  It'll be easier to keep things in sync that way.

 The problem is config/linux.h defines CC1_SPEC before config/mips.h is
included and as a result the latter does not redefine it.  I feared
changing "#ifdef CC1_SPEC ... #endif" to "#undef CC1_SPEC" would break
other targets -- there are too many of them and the dependencies are too
scattered for me to dare fiddling with this macro (proof-reading is futile
and testing every configuration impossible).  At least this change is
guaranteed to affect only Linux.  But I would encourage you, as the
maintainer, to get a more consistent general arrangement and I can do
testing for configurations I have access to.