Re: Seg fault when compiled with -mabi=64 and -lpthread

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: Seg fault when compiled with -mabi=64 and -lpthread
From: "Stephen P. Becker" <>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:39:31 -0400
Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz <>, Ralf Baechle <>, Bryan Althouse <>, "'Linux/MIPS Development'" <>
>>The segfault with kernel oops that I can't get around occurs while
>>glib's configure script is checking for libpthread.  Specifically, it
>>links against
>>libpthread and then runs it.
> And libpthread is part of glibc, not glib.  So if an autoconf test (which
> I'm assuming is AC_CHECK_LIB() rather than a hand-crafted hack) breaks on
> running a program linked against libpthread, then it's not a problem with
> glib, but probably with either glibc or the toolchain used.

I'm aware of this. It just sounded like Daniel was questioning whether
or not my glibc was compiling/working in the first place.

>>I've somewhat convinced myself this is either a kernel and/or a header
>>problem.  It seems I'm only able to reproduce this problem when trying
>>to compile and run that code while running 2.6.12 from cvs.  As I
>>previously mentioned, I tested the offending code on a kernel I compiled
>>from a 2.6.10 snapshot some time ago, and it ran with no segfault or oops.
>  If you get an Oops when running software as non-root, then it's a kernel
> bug, no matter what.

Yes, it certainly happens when running as a non-privileged user.  If I
get a bit of time later today, I was going to try and track down which
cvs commit and/or kernel version broke things.