Re: Popular MIPS4Kc boards?

Subject: Re: Popular MIPS4Kc boards?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:16:42 +0100
Cc: "Krishna B S" <>,
> on market?

A possibility for a MIPS64 based device might be the recently announced
Broadcom BCM97398 IPTV set-top box reference design platform:

This contains a BCM7038 with a 300 MHz R5Kf together with enough
peripherals to make it interesting: 2 x UART; 2 x SATA; 2 x USB 2.0;
10/100 Ethernet.  If produced in quantity and available it would
probably be more affordable than low volume evaluation boards.

What I would like to see is a multicore (multithreading?) MIPS64 chip
attached by HyperTransport to a PC chipset (eg. Via KN800A) on a small
form factor board (mini-itx; micro-atx; micro-btx).  An ideal plaything
for the kernel hacker and a useful resource for academic teaching and
research - a modern version of the UNSW U4600 ...