top and SMP

To: "'Linux/MIPS Development'" <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: top and SMP
From: "Bryan Althouse" <bryan.althouse@3phoenix.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:45:36 -0400
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I have tried to get top to display processor utilization on a per CPU basis,
but to no avail.  Does anyone know how to get top to properly display
statistics for a SMP system?  Better yet, does anyone know of a better
utility than top?

The man file for top says that it will display a separate column for each
CPU detected.  I only ever get one column.  I think both processors of my
RM9224 are working, because a "cat /proc/cpuinfo" lists information on
processor 0 and also for processor 1.

I am writing a multi-threaded radar processing application.  It would be
very nice to verify that the threads were being shared between the 2
processors.  I would like to use a utility like top to help me optimize my
code to properly utilize both processors.

Thanks!
Bryan