Re: Popular MIPS4Kc boards?

To: Krishna B S <>
Subject: Re: Popular MIPS4Kc boards?
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:10:56 +0100
On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:18:40PM +0530, Krishna B S wrote:

> I have to develop toolchains for various MIPS boards my company
> develops. All the boards consist of MIPS 4KC.
> I would like to know from you what is the most popular board used by
> the community with this kind of processor. I know, its tough to get a
> clear answer.
> But, my intention is to first port my toolchain/kernel for this
> popular board so that I can get your support, in case I encounter any
> problems. Having confirmed the working of the toolchain for this
> board, I would port it to my company's boards.
> (The popular board in the community would be my reference board for
> development.)

The price tag is juicy but for serious development with a 4Kc I'd
recommend a MIPS Malta.  Forcing consumer hardware into submission may
be a fun project for a spare time hacker but in general isn't a very
productive process for somebody who needs to finish a job soon or needs
to additional hardware such as PCI cards, logic analyzer, additional
memory, other CPU types etc.