Re: Linux on SGI Challenge L R10000 (IP25)

To: Andy Shepard <vox_soli@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Linux on SGI Challenge L R10000 (IP25)
From: Noah Misch <noah@cs.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:14:52 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:04:12PM -0700, Andy Shepard wrote:
> Greetings.  I happen to own one of these machines (12x R10000) and I'm
> interested in doing a port for it.  Does anyone out there have any
> hardware information about this machine?

The SGI owner's guide has some high-level information:
http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/pdf/challenge_owners_guide.pdf

/usr/include/sys/EVEREST/* from IRIX offer technical facts.

I have an R4400 Challenge (IP19), which is architecturally similar.  Hacking
Linux to boot and run simple userspace from initramfs was trivial, but I do not
yet have drivers for any of the peripheral hardware.