Advice needed WRT very slow nfs in new port...

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Advice needed WRT very slow nfs in new port...
From: David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:53:46 -0700
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I am trying to port 2.6.12 to a 32 bit SOC (ATI Xilleon). The same system is current running 2.4.29 with no problems.

I have an Intel Pro/100M Ethernet adapter on the PCI bus that I use to mount the root file system via nfs. There is also an ohci usb adapter on the bus.

My problem is that with my new 2.6.12 port the NFS is very slow. It takes about 10 minutes to mount the root filesystem, run init and finally run a shell on the serial port and present the shell prompt. Running commands like 'ls' works but can take 15 seconds in a small directory.

On the same hardware running 2.4.29 the system boots in 15 seconds and there is no delay for the 'ls'.

One theory I have is that there is a problem in either the interrupt or timer code somewhere. My evidence for this is that if I repeatedly plug and unplug a usb memory device things run more quickly. I think the interrupts from the USB may be kicking things into action.

Any pointers about where to look would be most appreciated.

Thanks
David Daney