Re: [patch] blast_scache nop for sc cpus without scache

To: Thomas Bogendoerfer <>
Subject: Re: [patch] blast_scache nop for sc cpus without scache
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:43:40 +0100 (BST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>, Florian Lohoff <>,
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> >  Are you sure CONF_SC isn't set?
> I've checked that after we saw a crash in __flush_cache_all().

 I see -- that's OK.

> > That would be weird, it's one of the boot-mode settings so it would be
> > hard to get it wrong.  What's printed upon bootstrap about caches?
> I don't have the console working yet, we just put enough prom_printf()s
> to work out, what was going wron.

 How about using these prom_printf()s to implement a real early printk()?
You'd save yourself and perhaps others a lot of hassle.

> I'm also not sure, whether adding the blast_scache_nop() stuff is
> the way to go. I'd probably throw out the switch case over CPU types
> and use a single test before calling r4k_blast_scache(). Hmm, the
> probably cheapest version would be:
>       if (r4k_blast_scache)
>               r4k_blast_scache();
> Problem solved.

 Probably, but there are actually other conditions already used, which may
happen to fit, or otherwise you are rather after creating "cpu_has_scache"
which would expand to a bit test for cpu_data[0].options or 0 or 1 as
appropriate, depending on platform settings.