Re: [patch] blast_scache nop for sc cpus without scache

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: [patch] blast_scache nop for sc cpus without scache
From: (Thomas Bogendoerfer)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:09:10 +0200
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>, Florian Lohoff <>,
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:45:39PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>  Are you sure CONF_SC isn't set?

I've checked that after we saw a crash in __flush_cache_all().

> That would be weird, it's one of the boot-mode settings so it would be
> hard to get it wrong.  What's printed upon bootstrap about caches?

I don't have the console working yet, we just put enough prom_printf()s
to work out, what was going wron.

> (but it may break elsewhere).  Have I heard: "serious brain damage" from
> you?  Well, I couldn't agree more...

well, I haven't digged deep enough, to have a good opion on the whole

I'm also not sure, whether adding the blast_scache_nop() stuff is
the way to go. I'd probably throw out the switch case over CPU types
and use a single test before calling r4k_blast_scache(). Hmm, the
probably cheapest version would be:

        if (r4k_blast_scache)

Problem solved.

Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]