Re: tlb magic

To: Dominic Sweetman <dom@mips.com>
Subject: Re: tlb magic
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:41:54 +0200
Cc: madprops@gmx.net, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 06:51:22AM +0100, Dominic Sweetman wrote:

> Current Linux systems accept more computation in the TLB miss
> handler in order to use largely portable data structures for keeping
> page tables.  You can always push at that trade-off...

Further tuning is on the Linux agenda.  Right now we've got a rather fancy
implementation of a slow (relativly speaking) but portable algorithm.
The most useful useful trick of all will be increasing the pagesize to
grow beyond the small pagesize of 4k - for expected significant
performance benefits because the the TLB reach will increase but also
virtual aliases will go away on about anything but R4000SC returning us
to the promised lands of simplicity of cache managment :-)