Re: .set mips2 breaks 64bit kernel

To: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Subject: Re: .set mips2 breaks 64bit kernel
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:37:38 +0100 (BST)
Cc: kumba@gentoo.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> Then gas expands the 'll' to LUI and LL (no high 32bit).

 I've fixed it by using ".set mips3" universally -- alternating between it
and ".set mips2" would be too ugly and the only difference between these
ISAs are 64-bit operations, so for code that does not use them explicitly
these settings should be equivalent.

> I'm using gcc 3.4.4 and binutils 2.16.1.  Not so brand new but not so
> obsolete (I hope :-))

 Well, GCC 3.4.4 is a bit old-fashioned, but it's not the worst one and
certainly we are going to support it for a while yet. ;-)  Binutils 2.16.1
should be OK -- I don't think there's been any problems discovered with
them yet that would urge an update.

  Maciej