Re: Building o32 glibc on mips64

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Subject: Re: Building o32 glibc on mips64
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:18:38 +0100 (BST)
Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>, Jim Gifford <maillist@jg555.com>, Linux MIPS List <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> >  Do you think HEAD is stable enough for a non-glibc developer?  It's soon
> > after a fork after all, so I'd expect more serious changes to be applied
> > nowadays.
>
> Btw, what is the chance to see a biarch toolchain for mips?  It seems
> all linux architectures with 32bit and 64bit variants seem to have one
> these days, except mips.

 What do you mean?  Multilib, per chance?  If so, please feel free to
build one yourself -- as of 4.0.0 GCC will build libraries for all three
ABIs (o32, (n)64 and n32) if configured for mips64{,el}-linux and
--enable-multilib is in effect (I think it is by default).  Bi-endian is
probably tougher, but it should be possible -- GCC itself supports the
"-mabi=" and "-mel" and "-meb" switches all the time AFAIK.

 Of course you may need to have system libraries installed in place for
all requested configurations as appropriate; at least glibc, but perhaps
others as well (gmp, mpfr for Fortran; zlib for Java).

  Maciej