Re: Porting To New System

To: "Alan Cox" <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>, "Cameron Cooper" <developer@phatlinux.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Porting To New System
From: "Cameron Cooper" <developer@phatlinux.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:59:49 +0000
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
>  > So even if this is a bad way of doing it, is it even possable?
>
>  It's certainly a good way to get started. Several ports began by using
>  boot firmware drivers and then eventually replaced them.
>
>  Does the firmware give you the ability to control MMU mappings ?

At this time only a few firmware functions are known. Well, to be more exact,
only a few are usable. While we know many of the functions provided by the
firmware, we do not know many of thier arguments. At this time we know how to
maniuplate the frame buffer, read button presses, read/write to the memory
stick, and play back audio, but we do not have a way to control MMU mappings.
We have only had the ability to write/execute code on the PSP for a month.
Discoveries are being made all the time, so we will certainly know more about
the firmware in the coming weeks.