Re: 64 bit kernel for BCM1250

To: Michael Belamina <belamina1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 64 bit kernel for BCM1250
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:19:14 +0100 (BST)
Cc: David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 19 May 2005, Michael Belamina wrote:

>    I am still not sure about the following:
>
>    1. Is this problem related only to kernels
> downloaded from linux-mips.org or it is a more general
> one?

 The problem is Linux 2.4 is generally in the maintenance mode, which
means no new development is done on it (although still an occasional
backport from 2.6 may happen).  As a result maintainers are rather
hesitant about applying changes unless they fix critical bugs.  Bugs
revealed by new versions of build tools are not usually considered as
critical, because you may work them around by using an old version of the
triggering tool.

 Still for the MIPS port what you can get from linux-mips.org is probably
less behind than what there is at kernel.org.

>    2. Can someone point to a known to work 64 bit
> versions of gcc and binutil for BCM1250 (the problem
> that started this thread was actually a problem of the
> mip64-linux-ld I was using).

 For 64-bit builds you probably want to use fairly recent versions or you
risk hitting serious bugs that used to exist in older versions.  Using
David's patch (or preferably mine ;-) -- as available here:
"http://www.linux-mips.org/cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=linux-mips&i=Pine.LNX.4.55.0406281509170.23162%40jurand.ds.pg.gda.pl";;

which I keep using with GCC 4.0.0) is probably the lesser evil.

  Maciej