Re: iptables/vmalloc issues on alchemy

To: Josh Green <jgreen@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: iptables/vmalloc issues on alchemy
From: Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:06:00 -0400
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, Pete Popov <ppopov@embeddedalley.com>, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr@hvrlab.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

On Apr 27, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Josh Green wrote:

...... I was
planning on doing some additional gdb debugging of the failure
(especially the initial large MMAP attempt by iptables, which was 1.5GB
in my case).

Oh wait ....  I found a bug a while ago from someone trying to load
large modules.  There is a problem if the kernel grows to need
additional PTE tables, the top level pointers don't get propagated
correctly and subsequent access by a thread that didn't actually
do the allocation would fail.  I'm looking into this, including your
past message about 64-bit PTEs.

Thanks.

        -- Dan