should the kernel be initializing the uarts on the Au1550?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: should the kernel be initializing the uarts on the Au1550?
From: Clem Taylor <clem.taylor@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:58:00 -0400
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
It seems that the kernel (2.6.10) isn't properly initializing the
Au1550 serial ports. All three of the serial ports work, just not at
the same time. Linux seems to need yamon to configure the serial port
first. Out of the box yamon uses UART0 & UART3 and ttyS0 & ttyS2
(UART3, the 1550 doesn't have a UART2) work in linux, but ttyS1
doesn't. If I switch yamon to use UART1 & UART3, then ttyS0 doesn't
seem to work in linux. The serial port that isn't configured by yamon
will hang in an ioctl() on calling tcsetattr().

Before I just cheat and add a third serial port to yamon, should the
kernel be initializing the UARTs or does it really expect the yamon to
initialize them first? Is anyone using all 3 serial ports on an
Au1550?

                                  Thanks,
                                  Clem