Re: ip27 PCI devices

To: Paul Chapman <paul.chapman@BrockU.CA>
Subject: Re: ip27 PCI devices
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:58:15 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 04:30:22PM -0400, Paul Chapman wrote:

> I've been experimenting with trying various PCI cards I have lying
> around in my Origin 200, to see if I can make any of them work.

The current Linux implementation limits IP27 to cards with 64-bit
addressing capability.

> So far, I've had no luck: all of them have resource collisions with the
> IOC3 (presumably because of its address decoding).  They're detected
> fine in /proc/pci.

What kernel version are you trying?

> So: has anyone had any luck with anything they've tried?  In particular,
> I'm looking for an ethernet card that works (and is readily available),
> since the performance of the IOC3 is pretty wretched.

That actually also seems to be more of a limitation of how the IP27 code
is setting up RRBs for PCI devices, so any driver is expected to deliver
a somewhat modest (understatement!) performance.  Fixing fortunately isn't
too hard ...