Re: Toolchain question

To: Mile Davidovic <>
Subject: Re: Toolchain question
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:38:41 +0100
Cc: "'Linux/MIPS Development'" <>
> From: "Mile Davidovic" <>
> To:   "'Linux/MIPS Development'" <>
> Subject: Toolchain question
> Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:13:50 +0200
> Hello all
> I would like to port board (with MIPS 4kec) to latest linux 2.6 kernel.
> Using porting guide
> from ( I successfully made
> console and
> serial driver. But problem appears with first printk (in start_kernel) I got
> exception.
> I used toolchain which uclibc buildroot script produced (gcc-3.4.2,
> binutils-,
> and I am not sure is this correct combination.
> >From
> I saw that next
> recommendations:
> 1. SDE MIPS - unfortunately this is 2.9x compiler.

Which should be perfectly find for the kernel.  And no, SDE isn't really
a 2.96-based compiler with _vastly_ improved code generation for MIPS

Less than a week ago SDE 5 was released which is based on gcc 3.4 and
similarly contains a large number of mostly MIPS-specific improvments.

> 2. Mr. Rozycki offer only mipsel toolchain

Recompiling is easy.

> 3. Mr. Kegel's crosstool but from
> it seems that
> this toolchain is not good for MIPS.

Plenty of success reports to this list contradict it.

> 4. Toolchain from ucLibc, I tried but I have trouble with.

No idea about this one.

> So my question: which toolchains I have to use?

Since you have problems with all of these you may want to describe those ...