Re: conflicting declaration of prom_getcmdline()

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Subject: Re: conflicting declaration of prom_getcmdline()
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:37:03 +0100
Cc: Ulrich Eckhardt <>, Linux/MIPS Development <>
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 01:20:15PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> IIRC, there are architectures (alpha?) where __init does matter for prototypes
> because a different jump type is used depending on the sections of the caller
> and callee.

MIPS gcc doesn't do such optimizations - and we'd expect no advantage from
it either because the range of R_MIPS_26 relocations used for jump
instructions is 256MB - unless somebody hits the special case where this
256MB boundary is going straight through the kernel in which case
-mlong-jump would be required anyway, __init or not.