Re: Some questions about kernel tailoring

To: dfsd df <tomcs163@yahoo.com.cn>
Subject: Re: Some questions about kernel tailoring
From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.hopto.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:06:23 +1000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
dfsd df wrote:
> Thanks again!

BTW: Your mail client has just switched back to its fixation on HTML.
Could you please have a close look at the settings and disable HTML mail
composition?  (at least for this email address/domain)

> Because of the limitation of memory, I don't want to use YAMON.
> Using gzip -9, I can get a kernel more small than the kernel made by
> "make zImage".
> So I want to write a very simple bootloader and make a self-decompressed
> kernel.

AFAIK the bootloader is only resident during the initial bootup, and is
normally gone by the time userland kicks in.  (Think about it -- what's
 the point in it sticking around, its job is done ;-)

If you've got at least 8MB RAM you should be okay.  (And lets face it --
Linux on 4MB *IS NOT PRETTY* -- Been there, done that)  How much RAM are
you working with?
| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project     -oOo-    http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |