Re: Compressed Kernels

To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net>
Subject: Re: Compressed Kernels
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@embeddedalley.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:24:48 -0800
Cc: linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Robin H. Johnson wrote:
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:35:26AM +0100, JP Foster wrote:

I've noticed that mips doesn't have a compressed kernel option,
so I had added support (ripped shamelessly from arch/i386) for it
to save space on our flash chips.

It works fine for my db1550 and also our product boards.
The patch is pretty messy but if there was interest in it I could clean
it up. Is there any historical reason for it not being included?

Pete Popov was already working some zImage code.

His link for it:
ftp://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mips/people/ppopov/2.6/zImage_2_6_10.patch

It worked for me in January on an XXS1500 device, but I haven't tried it
on any newer kernel since then.

I don't know the current status of it, or if it is going to go into the
main codebase at all.

Should be easy to update if if doesn't apply cleanly anymore. I think the complaint about that patch is that it duplicates some code from other architectures and a more common solution is needed. Since I don't have time to work on something more common, the patch remains stand alone.

Pete