Re: Compressed Kernels

To: linux-mips <>
Subject: Re: Compressed Kernels
From: "Robin H. Johnson" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:42:07 -0800
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:35:26AM +0100, JP Foster wrote:
> I've noticed that mips doesn't have a compressed kernel option,
> so I had added support (ripped shamelessly from arch/i386) for it
> to save space on our flash chips.
> It works fine for my db1550 and also our product boards.
> The patch is pretty messy but if there was interest in it I could clean
> it up. Is there any historical reason for it not being included?
Pete Popov was already working some zImage code.

His link for it:

It worked for me in January on an XXS1500 device, but I haven't tried it
on any newer kernel since then.

I don't know the current status of it, or if it is going to go into the
main codebase at all.

Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     :
Home Page  :