Re: Some questions about kernel tailoring

To: dfsd df <tomcs163@yahoo.com.cn>
Subject: Re: Some questions about kernel tailoring
From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.hopto.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:20:17 +1000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
dfsd df wrote:
> Hello, everybody:
>      Now, I participate to porting linux to MIPS platform. I'm a newbie.
>
>      I met some questions, I hope somebody can tell me why or give me
> some hints! thanks!
>
> The board is Malta, CPU is MIPS4kc. I downloaded kernel src from
> ftp.mips.com <ftp://ftp.mips.com>
>
> 1. I use "make zImage" for kernel-2.4.3, everything is ok!
> But using "make zImage" for kernel-2.4.18, I failed, It could only
> build a vmlinux file.

That's correct... 'vmlinux' is your kernel.  mips doesn't use zImages.

> I find it's because of no rules in arch/mips/boot/Makefile to build
> zImage.
> So I modified the arch/mips/boot/Makefile, It worked fine.
>  but when excuted "./mkboot zImage.tmp zImage", It generated a very big
> zImage file. After noticing "file size exceed", the system delete the
> zImage file automatically!

Try running mkboot on the vmlinux file.

> what's wrong about it? It's ok for kernel-2.4.3. and I can make sure
> that the mkboot is no problem.

A newer kernel mightn't be a bad idea either... 2.4.3 is very old now.

> 2. I only selectd board and cpu type when compiling the kernel-2.4.3.
> If using make ,the vmlinux size is about 780k. If using "make zImage",
> the zImage file is about 580k.
> I think that's a minimun size by using "make menuconfig".
> but I use gzip to compress this two files, its size became only 1/3 of
> their original size.
>
> So I'm puzzled why "make zImage" don't use gzip compress method? If so ,
> we can get a more small kernel, isn't it?
>
> thanks again!

I'll let the guru's chime in here :-)

(PS... Please refrain from HTML email on this list)

| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project     -oOo-    http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |