Some questions about kernel tailoring

Subject: Some questions about kernel tailoring
From: dfsd df <>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:37:42 +0800 (CST)
Hello, everybody:
     Now, I participate to porting linux to MIPS platform. I'm a newbie.
     I met some questions, I hope somebody can tell me why or give me some hints! thanks!
The board is Malta, CPU is MIPS4kc. I downloaded kernel src from
    1. I use "make zImage" for kernel-2.4.3, everything is ok!
 But using "make zImage" for kernel-2.4.18, I failed, It could only build a vmlinux file.
I  find it's because of no rules in arch/mips/boot/Makefile to build zImage.
So I modified the arch/mips/boot/Makefile, It worked fine.
 but when excuted "./mkboot zImage.tmp zImage", It generated a very big zImage file. After noticing "file size exceed", the system delete the zImage file automatically!
what's wrong about it? It's ok for kernel-2.4.3. and I can make sure that the mkboot is no problem.
2. I only selectd board and cpu type when compiling the kernel-2.4.3.
If using make ,the vmlinux size is about 780k. If using "make zImage", the zImage file is about 580k.
I think that's a minimun size by using "make menuconfig".
but I use gzip to compress this two files, its size became only 1/3 of their original size.
So I'm puzzled why "make zImage" don't use gzip compress method? If so , we can get a more small kernel, isn't it?
thanks again!

Do You Yahoo!?