Re: Bitrotting serial drivers

To: Michael Stickel <michael@cubic.org>
Subject: Re: Bitrotting serial drivers
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@embeddedalley.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:19:47 -0800
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

Even if I don't make me a lot of friends, the au1x00 driver seems to be a hack.

Well, it basically is.

Most of the difference seems to be the PCI stuff, that has been removed and the access method.

There were a bunch of differences including how you program the baud rate, the addresses of the registers, and if I remember correctly, additional/different registers. To cleanly get the au1x support into the 8250 driver, some additional abstraction was necessary and I just never had the time to do it.

Pete