Re: Bitrotting serial drivers

To: Russell King <>
Subject: Re: Bitrotting serial drivers
From: Pete Popov <>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:42:27 -0800
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>, Andrew Morton <>,,
Russell King wrote:
On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 02:51:40PM -0800, Pete Popov wrote:

- __register_serial, register_serial, unregister_serial
(this driver doesn't support PCMCIA cards, all of which are based on
 8250-compatible devices.)

I tried a couple of times to cleanly add support to the 8250 for the Au1x serial. The uart is just different enough to make that hard, though I admit I never spent too much time on it. Sounds like it's time to revisit it again.

I would prefer to have a patch to remove (or ack to do so myself) the
above three mentioned functions so I can avoid breaking your driver,
rather than a large update to it.

Go for it. I'll test the driver afterwards and think about getting it into the 8250 again.