Re: Netbooting CoLo on the Cobalt RaQ1

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Netbooting CoLo on the Cobalt RaQ1
From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.hopto.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:30:31 +1000
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.hopto.org> [2005-03-18 23:20]:

        It appears the RaQ1 is a special case, and does not look there to
download its kernel.  Does anyone know exactly where these boxes look
for the kernel image when netbooting?  That way, I can ammend[1] the
handbook with the new details.

Possibly vmlinux_RAQ.gz.  In Debian, we have a file called vmlinux.gz
and the symlinks vmlinux_raq-2800.gz and vmlinux_RAQ.gz pointing to
it, and that seems to work for everyone.

Hi,
        Thanks for the reply.  I thought this might be the case.  I suspect
something weird is going on firmware wise.

        When this user tries to boot, the system reports back "Unknown
Compression Method".  A full log from the serial console is here:
<http://www.gurlinet.dk/upload/minicom.cap>.  I suspect the system, as
the colo-chain.elf is simply gzipped and named 'vmlinux.gz'.

        We also get the same error message when using the Debian netboot images
-- which is interesting to say the least.  I've looked around but
haven't seen any comments regarding Gentoo or Debian on a RaQ1.  Has
anyone tried installing a modern Linux distribution on these boxes?
| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project     -oOo-    http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |