Re: How do I compile GCC to generate MIPS code ?

To: Leonel Gayard <leonel.gayard@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: How do I compile GCC to generate MIPS code ?
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:24:14 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Leonel Gayard wrote:
Hi all,

I have recently started to study the MIPS architecture. For instance,
I wanted to have GCC compile C code into MIPS assembly and run it in
SPIM. (I have an Intel machine running Linux).

So I want to try something like this:

gcc -Wall -pedantic -S --march=mips1 test.c

in order to have it generate MIPS assembly.

It does not work. All I get is:

cc1: error: bad value (mips32) for -march= switch
cc1: error: bad value (mips32) for -mcpu= switch

Clearly, I need to recompile GCC so it has MIPS in its available
architectures. Remark, this is not cross-compiling, because I want GCC
to run on an i686 machine, it just generates MIPS code.

Can any one help me do this ?

Thank you
Leonel

Cross compiling is the (black) art of building a compiler that runs on Arch X, but generates code for Arch Y. You definitely do not want to replace your system compiler (that is, i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc) with a mips one, cause then you won't be able to rebuild i686 packages. You want a second compiler to be available capable of handling mips-unknown-linux-gnu.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond