initrd/initramfs problem

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: initrd/initramfs problem
From: Ed Martini <martini@c2micro.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:23:45 -0800
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, lkml@vger.kernel.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
What fails is when CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD and CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE are both set. I realize (now) that I don't need initrd at all, and initramfs works fine by itself, as you have tested. It seems that the kernel may need some exclusion between these two mechanisms while the difference is sorted out.

I'm not totally up on Kconfig files, but maybe something like this in drivers/block/Kconfig:

config INITRAMFS_SOURCE
       string "Initramfs source file(s)"
       default ""
       depends on BLK_DEV_INITRD=n

Regarding the documenation it would have been helpful to me if Documentation/initrd.txt had a reference to Documentation/early-userspace/README. I'm not sure who maintains that directory, or I'd send a suggestion. tldp.org?

THX
Ed Martini

Original context: http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2005-03/index.html