Re: IPTables 1.3.x fails on RaQ2

To: freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: IPTables 1.3.x fails on RaQ2
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:26:44 -0500
Cc: Jim Gifford <maillist@jg555.com>, Linux MIPS List <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
freshy98 wrote:
Jim,

I am running iptables-1.2.11-r3 on my Gentoo installed Cobalt Qube2 and it compiles alright. If I remember correctly I have tried a higher version which failed on cpu-feature-overrides.h too.

My kernel is linux-2.6.10-20050115 which is in the Portage tree of Gentoo and is based upon CVS.
So far this machines runs for 14 days without a problem.
It runs iptables with shorewall.

Regards,

Tom

Jim Gifford wrote:

I've been trying to figure out why the current iptables fails on the 2.6.9 and 2.6.11 MIPS builds. It seems that a file cpu-features-overrides.h is missing for the Cobalt builds. Are their plans for one, or is there a patch out there so we can get it added. Here is the error message on the IPTables build, I still don't understand why they are checking for that myself.

# ./iptables install
       Verifying iptables-1.3.1.tar.bz2
               Downloading iptables-1.3.1.tar.bz2
               Creating Local SHA1 file for iptables-1.3.1.tar.bz2
               Installing iptables-1.3.1
                       Unpacking iptables-1.3.1.tar.bz2
Making dependencies: please wait...
Something wrong... deleting dependencies.
make: *** [cpu-feature-overrides.h] Error 1
               -----Error at Build has occured-----
Exiting

This is a headers problem, mainly in 2.6. 2.6 isn't safe out-of-the-box for userland consumption. I've been toying with some 2.6.10 headers from LMO cvs on the gentoo side of things, where we have an "appCompat" patch that plugs up a alot of the leaky holes in 2.6.x headers, but I still have to analyze the patch and add in some mips-specific bits before these headers can be considered remotely sane for even testing.

Those running other distros will probably need similar modifications to their headers to make them userland-friendly.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond