Re: Newbie : Cross-compiling module for wrt54g

To: Christophe Jelger <Christophe.Jelger@unibas.ch>
Subject: Re: Newbie : Cross-compiling module for wrt54g
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:12:53 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:48:47PM +0100, Christophe Jelger wrote:

> Thanks to people who replied ... I will spend some time trying to build
> the module and see what happens !
>
> JP, I don't know if you meant compiling a standard (or a mips ?) 2.4
> kernel with gcc 3.4.1, but I know it works with gcc 3.3.5 for the
> standard kernel.

Compiling 2.4 with gcc 3.4 will fail for certain configurations.  Even
where it successfully builds there is always the danger that a more
modern that is aggressive optimizer will do unexpected things to code -
and OS code is very fragile in that aspect.  Thus I recommend to use only
2.95.3 ... 3.3 for Linux 2.4.

For 2.6 anything between 2.95.3 ... 4.0 has been tested - but 4.0 is still
a bit on the daring side while 3.4 has been tested well on many platforms.

Of course you may always be lucky - or have too much time on your hands ;-)