Re: sparse and mips

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: sparse and mips
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:29:35 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Jeroen Vreeken <pe1rxq@amsat.org>, Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:24:19AM +0100, Jeroen Vreeken wrote:
> > I tried compiling my switch driver with sparse to see if I did some
> > stupid casts and got a lot of warnings.... (attached below)
> > Are others using sparse with mips kernels and getting the same?
> > Or has nobody taken the time to fix it up?
> > (The byteorder stuff should creap up everywhere or not?)
>
> Not to my knowledge.  I always meant to as a preventive maintenance meassure
> but somehow there was always something more important to do ...
>
> > include/asm/byteorder.h:27:4: warning: "MIPS, but neither __MIPSEB__,
> > nor __MIPSEL__???"
> > include/linux/kernel.h:200:2: warning: "Please fix asm/byteorder.h"
>
> A result of sparse not knowing about MIPS yet.
>
> > include/linux/aio_abi.h:59:2: warning: edit for your odd byteorder.
>
> Same.

You're using 2.6.10?

When I played with sparse on m68k (cross-compile environment), I had to make
some modifications to arch/m68k/Makefile, to pass a few additional flags to
sparse in case of cross-compilation. Later these changes were moved to the main
Makefile, since they were valid for all architectures if cross-compilation was
involved.

So I suggest to take a look at CHECKFLAGS in the main Makefile of the latest
version (2.6.11-rc5) first, and see whether it works there.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds