Re: Building GLIBC 2.3.4 on MIPS

To: Jim Gifford <>
Subject: Re: Building GLIBC 2.3.4 on MIPS
From: Kumba <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:53:59 -0500
Jim Gifford wrote:
I'm trying to build the current glibc with my RaQ2, everything builds ok, until I start compiling strace.

syscall.c: In function `dumpio':
syscall.c:449: error: `SYS_read' undeclared (first use in this function)
syscall.c:449: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
syscall.c:449: error: for each function it appears in.)
syscall.c:465: error: `SYS_write' undeclared (first use in this function)
syscall.c: In function `syscall_fixup':
syscall.c:1265: warning: unused variable `pid'
syscall.c: In function `trace_syscall':
syscall.c:2481: error: `SYS_exit' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [syscall.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/strace-4.5.9'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Which leads me to check syscall.h, then I noticed a big difference from my x86 version to this version, all the SYS_ entries are missing. Did I build it wrong or is this a glibc issue, due to the addition of the mips32 and mips64 directories.

Here is my bug report with the glibc folks for everyone's reference.

We've bumped into this on the gentoo-side of things. The fix we're using (for now) is this a modified version of this patch here:

The above patch wasn't intended for 2.3.4 by default I believe, so it doesn't apply cleanly. It had to be re-diffed for 2.3.4. You can find this version here:

The resulting bits/syscall.h isn't the cleanest thing, but strace will build against it and it does appear to work.

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond