Re: dbAu1550: booting linux from flash

To: Prashant Viswanathan <vprashant@echelon.com>
Subject: Re: dbAu1550: booting linux from flash
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@embeddedalley.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:10:05 -0800
Cc: "'linux-mips@linux-mips.org'" <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Prashant Viswanathan wrote:
Hi All,

I have a dbAu1550 board running Linux. The way it works now, I have YAMON
booting the kernel via tftp. The kernel itself mounts the root file system
from NAND flash (JFFS2).

How can I use YAMON to copy the kernel image to flash (so that I don't have
to tftp every time)? And what changes would I have to make to the way I
build the "falsh-resident-kernel" (if any)?

You can put the kernel in NOR flash, but I don't think yamon supports the nand part on the board. Putting the kernel in NOR flash is easy, especially if you use the zImage support. You can then use yamon to just jump to that flash location and the kernel will relocate itself from flash to RAM, decompress itself, and boot.

Pete