Re: kernel for custom MV64341 board?

Subject: Re: kernel for custom MV64341 board?
From: Thomas Petazzoni <>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:57:57 +0100

Fredrik a écrit :

So far I've been using an old 2.4 kernel I used for some Ocelot-G
work, just to get past the TFTP-load stage. MY QUESTION IS: What would
be the best kernel version for me to now start customizing for my
board?  Is 2.6 too bleeding-edge, 2.4 too moldy, or what?  Dealing
with the MV64341 will be most of the effort, of course.

I have recently hacked a 2.6 Linux-MIPS kernel for a custom RM9000 / MV64340 board, and it worked pretty well.

For the MV64340 UART, you can find a driver in the Bitkeeper PowerPC tree available at Montavista. Otherwise, I have written an other driver, much smaller, but maybe less functionnal than the one available from Montavista.

The Ocelot boards seem well supported, but there looks to be a lot of
code that would have to change (different system controller, different
memory map--though I'm flexible--a lot of assumptions about the
goodies available on-board, etc.).  This is the first time I'll be
porting the kernel, so it might be more productive for me to start
from a minimalist configuration and add-in what I need.  Enough code
to set up the memory configuration would be a big help.

Have a look at Linux-MIPS Wiki ( it contains an updated version of the MIPS porting guide from Jun Sun. It's a very good starting point in my opinion.

PETAZZONI Thomas - - Jabber:,
Fingerprint : 0BE1 4CF3 CEA4 AC9D CC6E  1624 F653 CB30 98D3 F7A7