Re: CVS Update@linux-mips.org: linux

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: CVS Update@linux-mips.org: linux
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:06:51 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > Modified files:
> >     arch/mips64/kernel: Tag: linux_2_4 scall_o32.S
> >
> > Log message:
> >     Gas no longer supports redefining macros.
>
> Bulletproofing 2.4 against newer tools is something that only makes limited
> sense, especially wrt. to gcc 3.4 and newer.  Chances for any such changes
> to be accepted upstream are slim - and the kernel has traditionally been
> easily affected by overoptimization, so I recommend against gcc 3.4.  The
> recommended compiler for 2.4 is still gcc 2.95.3 but except gcc 3.0 upto
> gcc 3.3 is reasonable and can be considered well tested.

 I do agree in general, but given that the construct I've used has been
supported by gas since 1995, there is no point in keeping our code broken.
And binutils actually quite rarely trigger problems with Linux, while
they've got improved significantly with the last few releases; unlike with
GCC it's normally a good idea to use the latest version of binutils.

  Maciej