Re: CVS linux

Subject: Re: CVS linux
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:34:35 +0100
On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 03:53:03AM +0000, wrote:

> Modified files:
>       arch/mips64/kernel: Tag: linux_2_4 scall_o32.S
> Log message:
>       Gas no longer supports redefining macros.

Bulletproofing 2.4 against newer tools is something that only makes limited
sense, especially wrt. to gcc 3.4 and newer.  Chances for any such changes
to be accepted upstream are slim - and the kernel has traditionally been
easily affected by overoptimization, so I recommend against gcc 3.4.  The
recommended compiler for 2.4 is still gcc 2.95.3 but except gcc 3.0 upto
gcc 3.3 is reasonable and can be considered well tested.