Re: patch like kexec for MIPS possible?

To: Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>
Subject: Re: patch like kexec for MIPS possible?
From: Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:01:46 -0500
Cc: linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>, Robert Michel <news@robertmichel.de>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

On Feb 5, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

.....   but  I cannot see many situations where
kexec is actually better or more powerful than  a  decent  bootloader
line U-Boot. OK, I'm obviously biased.

I agree.  I've played with booting kernels from kernels
in both PowerPC and MIPS in the past, and the problem
I always run into is drivers or kernel functions that assume
a particular power up state.  When rebooting from another
kernel you don't have the same state as from power up, and
some software doesn't like this.   I suspect main reason for
kexec is the horrible x86 bios and nothing that can be done
about it.

Oh, and I agree with your assessment, not that you are biased :-)

        -- Dan