Re: patch like kexec for MIPS possible?

To: Robert Michel <news@robertmichel.de>
Subject: Re: patch like kexec for MIPS possible?
From: Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:41:50 +0100
Cc: linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Robert Michel wrote:
> Salve!
>
> Does the MIPS CPUs makes a patch like kexec possible?
>
> Kexec is a kernel patch which allows you to start another kernel.

MIPS kernels are usually position dependent code, and loaded in
unmapped memory, so a kernel would need to overwrite itself for
kexec. I don't know if kexec is flexible enough to handle this.

> IMHO would such a kernel patch would be handy, especialy for
> small MIPS Linux boxes. For more info about kexec read e.g.
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-kexec.html

Frankly, I don't see what kexec is good for. Who else besides
kernel developers would need to reboot a machine continuously?

Thiemo