Re: patch like kexec for MIPS possible?

To: Robert Michel <>
Subject: Re: patch like kexec for MIPS possible?
From: Thiemo Seufer <>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:41:50 +0100
Cc: linux-mips <>
Robert Michel wrote:
> Salve!
> Does the MIPS CPUs makes a patch like kexec possible?
> Kexec is a kernel patch which allows you to start another kernel.

MIPS kernels are usually position dependent code, and loaded in
unmapped memory, so a kernel would need to overwrite itself for
kexec. I don't know if kexec is flexible enough to handle this.

> IMHO would such a kernel patch would be handy, especialy for
> small MIPS Linux boxes. For more info about kexec read e.g.

Frankly, I don't see what kexec is good for. Who else besides
kernel developers would need to reboot a machine continuously?