Kernel compile error - rtc.c

To: <>
Subject: Kernel compile error - rtc.c
From: "Etienne Bauermeister" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:38:47 +0200
I am compiling the linux-2.6.11-rc2-mipscvs-20050130 kernel using a toolchain I built myself from instructions on this mailing list. The toolchain consists of binutils-, glibc-2.2.5, glibc-linuxthreads-2.2.5 and gcc-3.2-7.1 from H.J. Lu with all the patches like glibc-2.2.5-mips-build-gmon etc. applied. I am compiling the kernel for the AMD Au1100 (big endian) on an i686 host.  When I do this though I get the following error message a few minutes into the compilation process:
CC      drivers/char/rtc.o
drivers/char/rtc.c: In function `rtc_init':
drivers/char/rtc.c:955: `r' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/char/rtc.c:955: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
drivers/char/rtc.c:955: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [drivers/char/rtc.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
I understand that the variable ‘r’ is not declared and this causes the error, but I don’t know where to declare it or am I completely wrong and something else is at fault?  Please provide some help with this.
A second question relates to some warnings I got earlier in the compilation process stating that some ‘variables’ (I assume) are ‘deprecated’.  Is this anything to be concerned about?

Etienne Bauermeister

Design Engineer

OpenFuel (Pty) Ltd