RE: initial bootstrap and jtag

To: "Clem Taylor" <clem.taylor@gmail.com>, <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: RE: initial bootstrap and jtag
From: "Joseph Chiu" <joseph@omnilux.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:42:07 -0800
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
We use the Macraigor Raven here.  It okay.  Not very fast.  And, for some
reason, I've been having memory read problems in little-endian mode.  They've
sicne released updated drivers, but I haven't been able to get them to work in
my environment (because I have a bunch of older tools in the environment that
I've got working well enough for my use with the older driver).

I haven't seen the BDI2000.  My understanding is that the mpDemon is
functionally the same, but faster.  If I knew then that I'd spend as much time
with JTAG as I've spent, the extra money for mpDemon or the BDI2000 would have
definitely been my purchase.

As for configuring the Au1xxx for bootstrapping, this is what I did:

I wrote a minimal gdb script (for use with the Raven-gdb interface) to write
config values into CPU registers to get the SDRAM running.  I then uploaded a
minimal program that listened for hex data on the serial port, and used that to
load code that would perform FLASH memory accesses and the like.

Do people still use ROM emulators?  I think the turnaround time for getting the
machine bootstrapped would have been faster with a ROMulator (at least for the
stuff I was doing)...