Re: changes to drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_defs.h in the mips tree

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
Subject: Re: changes to drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_defs.h in the mips tree
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:18:52 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Hi Carsten,

 I'm afraid Carsten may no longer be reachable, but I may try to help in
his stead.

> do you remember what your changes to drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_defs.h in
> the mips tree are supposed to help with?

 It must have been the MIPS Technologies' Atlas development board which
has a SYM53C810A incorporated, even though the resulting changes are
specific to the board.  There appears to have been some sort of confusion
about the semantics of i/o and mmio operations in mixed-endian
configurations, which for the MIPS port actually is currently being
resolved.

> sym53c8xx_defs.h is only used for the ncr53c8xx driver, which despite
> the name is only for NCR53c720 chips these days (supported on parisc,
> and eisa/mca).  It has correct big endian support for parisc alrady.

 I can verify whether the other driver operates correctly in the four
possible configurations with an Atlas board.

 BTW, that SCSI_NCR_BIG_ENDIAN macro looks scary -- is the chip wired
incorrectly (i.e. with byte lanes swapped at PCI) or are i/o and/or mmio
operations simply broken for parisc?

> Also the patch duplicates your changelog and copyright entry that's
> in the file already.

 It looks like some sort of a merging mistake.

  Maciej