Re: bitrot in drivers/net/au1000_eth.c

To: Matt Porter <mporter@kernel.crashing.org>
Subject: Re: bitrot in drivers/net/au1000_eth.c
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@embeddedalley.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:15:34 -0800
Cc: Ulrich Eckhardt <eckhardt@satorlaser.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

I suggest everyone take a look at the effort posted to netdev:

http://oss.sgi.com/archives/netdev/2004-12/msg00643.html

That's the work Dan told me about. Now we just have to update the au1x driver :)

Pete

It's an attempt at a phy abstraction layer that goes the next
logical step after the minimal support provided in mii.h.

It's evolved out of the in-driver abstraction that is currently
used in the sungem, ibm_emac, and gianfar drivers in 2.6. It
was just a matter of time before somebody got tired of copying
the same PHY mgmt bits into every driver. :)

-Matt