Re: RFC: Copyright notice

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: RFC: Copyright notice
From: Tsang-Ren Chang <690190029@s90.tku.edu.tw>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:29:20 +0800
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Jeroen Vreeken wrote:

Hi,

I have been porting the 2.4.18 based edimax sources for the adm5120 to 2.6 over the last few days (its alive, atleast untill it blows up in the delay measurement :). I would like some advice on the copyright notices the ADMtek guys put in these files....

Below I included one such blurp.
To me it reads like a load of crap.
- It is not unpublished as it states, as they distributed both compiled kernels and the sources. - Tradesecrets are kind of a nonsense if you put your sources on a publicly accessable webserver. - They linked and distributed the result against GPL (kernel, not just compiled as a module) code so I am pretty sure we can asume that we comply with option II (in other words: we have a license)

Keeping this is going to get people freaked out for sure, would it be ok to just change it to 'Copyright ADMtek' and add a few lines refering to the GPL?

Thanks,
Jeroen

header of arch/mips/am5120/irq.c:

/*****************************************************************************
;
;   (C) Unpublished Work of ADMtek Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
;
;       THIS WORK IS AN UNPUBLISHED WORK AND CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL,
;       PROPRIETARY AND TRADESECRET INFORMATION OF ADMTEK INCORPORATED.
; ACCESS TO THIS WORK IS RESTRICTED TO (I) ADMTEK EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE A ; NEED TO KNOW TO PERFORM TASKS WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THEIR ASSIGNMENTS ; AND (II) ENTITIES OTHER THAN ADMTEK WHO HAVE ENTERED INTO APPROPRIATE
;       LICENSE AGREEMENTS.  NO PART OF THIS WORK MAY BE USED, PRACTICED,
;       PERFORMED, COPIED, DISTRIBUTED, REVISED, MODIFIED, TRANSLATED,
; ABBRIDGED, CONDENSED, EXPANDED, COLLECTED, COMPILED, LINKED, RECAST, ; TRANSFORMED OR ADAPTED WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF ADMTEK.
;       ANY USE OR EXPLOITATION OF THIS WORK WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION COULD
;       SUBJECT THE PERPERTRATOR TO CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LIABILITY.
;
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;
;    Project : ADM5120
;    Creator : daniell@admtek.com.tw
;    File    : arch/mips/am5120/irq.c
;     Date    : 2003.3.4
;    Abstract:
;
;Modification History:
;

.

Hi  Jeroen:
   How could you get the edimax-based kernel source for adm5120?
I have looked for it for a long time. :-(

TR Chang
Best regards.