Re: initrd support.

To: moreau francis <francis_moreau2000@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: initrd support.
From: Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:41:47 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
moreau francis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to use initrd to mount my root fs, but I was
> wondering what its status...
> I have noticed in boot directory addinitrd program
> that seems to add an initrd image right after the
> kernel.
> But there's also a section in kernel/vmlinux.lds.S
> called
> .initrd that includes initrd image during kernel
> compilation.
>
> Why are there two different ways of using initrd ?

Actually, there are three:
- the generic initramfs method for compiled in initrds
- the addinitrd method to attach a initrd to a precompiled kernel
  image (which is old, and essentially unmaintained)
- the rd_start/rd_size method, which allows a bootloader to load both
  kernel and initrd images into memory and then tells the kernel via
  the rd_start/rd_size parameters where the initrd is located

> Which one I should use ?

Depends on your machine/bootloader and how much flexibility you want.

Thiemo