Re: Problem with MV64340 serial driver

To: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@enix.org>
Subject: Re: Problem with MV64340 serial driver
From: sjhill@realitydiluted.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:19:19 -0600 (CST)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

> I've implemented a serial driver for the Marvell 64340 chipset. This
> driver works fairly well. It uses SDMA for both input and input. SDMA
> buffers and descriptors are stored in Marvell SRAM.

My first question is, "Why?". You are aware that a serial driver already
exists for PPC using the 64360 which is the same chip as the 64340
except that it has a PPC 60x bus interface instead of MIPS? We do NOT
want multiple drivers. We just went through this with the ethernet
driver on 64340/64360. Go pull the latest stuff from:

   bk://source.mvista.com/linux-2.5-marvell

and look in 'drivers/serial/mpsc'. You should use this as your starting
point and make the necessary changes to get it working on the 64340.
Another serial driver will not be accepted into the kernel. Thanks.

-Steve