RE: dbAu1550 (Cabarnet) - problems booting kernel - hangs at "Sen ding B

To: Prashant Viswanathan <vprashant@echelon.com>
Subject: RE: dbAu1550 (Cabarnet) - problems booting kernel - hangs at "Sen ding BOOTP" and root file system for MIPS (BE)
From: Josh Green <jgreen@users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:55:55 -0800
Cc: "'linux-mips@linux-mips.org'" <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 16:42 -0800, Prashant Viswanathan wrote:
> However, the kernel seems to hang in "Sending BOOTP Requests"
> <snip>
> Sending BOOTP requests .<6>eth0: link up
> eth1: link up
> ..... timed out!
> IP-Config: Reopening network devices...
> Sending BOOTP requests ....
> </snip>

Perhaps you don't have a bootp service on your network.  I usually put
ip=dhcp (go to Device Drivers->Networking support->Networking options
and enable IP: DHCP support).

> The same happens whether I use "go . ip=any" or "go . ip=10.2.11.185" from
> yamon. All the other nodes on this network also use DHCP to get their
> addresses and they have no problems. The board itself boots using tftp so
> the network connectivity must be good.
>
> My next step would be to specify a root file system. Where can I find a root
> file system (or/and compiled package) for MIPS (BE)? I saw this thread (link
> below) on the mailing list, but none of these links work now.
> http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2001-03/threads.html#00008

You could build your own tool chain and root file system, which is what
I did (I have a dbAu1100 board).  I used the buildroot package which is
part of the uclibc project:
http://www.uclibc.org/

You can download the buildroot CVS tarball here (just look for the
"Download tarball" link at the bottom:
http://www.uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/buildroot/

It has a "make menuconfig" style configuration system and will build
busybox and other programs and create an ext2 file system, etc.  I opted
to build busybox and the mips kernel separately though (so I could more
easily configure them).  I now have a cross compiler and tool chain for
my x86 laptop.

> Thanks
> Prashant

Cheers.