Re: problem about dma

To: wuming <>
Subject: Re: problem about dma
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:43:59 +0300
wuming wrote:
Before the dma transfer, pci_map_sg will map the memory space covered by
and it will flush and invalidate cache indexed by that memory space.
After the dma transfer, pci_unmap_sg also needs to be called to flush and
the same cache. But I do not know why the second flush will be demanded.
I think that in the interval between the two flush, there would be nothing to
the memory covered by the dma. But it is not the case.
I want to know what can access that memory and I need some help.

In 2.4, memcpy's prefetch may (and, in practice, do, no smiles, it cost me a lot of time to realize) access that memory. I though it has been fixed in 2.6 someday.